Angling for summer steelhead and spring Chinook jacks is open between Tongue Point and the Interstate 5 Bridge.
Angling for shad is open from Buoy 10 upstream to Bonneville Dam.
White sturgeon retention is open from Buoy 10 upstream to Wauna powerlines on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays through June 5.
White sturgeon retention is closed from Wauna powerlines upstream to McNary Dam but remains an option for catch-and-release fishing. Anglers are reminded that spawning sanctuaries took effect May 1.
Walleye angling is good in the John Day Pool. Panfish and bass are biting in local lakes. Trout fishing continues to be good in local lakes. Shad fishing has been very good in the Columbia River.
Washington creel reports
- Kalama River: until further notice, from the mouth upstream to the 6600 Road Bridge immediately downstream of Jacks Creek: Use of barbless hooks is voluntary. until further notice, from the mouth to 1,000 feet below the fishway at the upper salmon hatchery: the daily salmon limit is 6 fish, of which only 1 may be an adult.
- Lewis River: Effective May 1-31, 2019, Anglers should be aware the river section from Johnson Creek to the overhead power lines below Merwin Dam is closed to fishing.
- Wind River: Effective May 20, 2019 until further notice, from the mouth to 800 yards below Carson National Fish Hatchery: Closed to salmon and steelhead angling.
- Drano Lake: Effective May 20, 2019 until further notice, downstream of the markers on point of land downstream and across from Little White Salmon National fish hatchery and upstream of Highway 14 bridge: Closed to salmon and steelhead angling.
. . .
- Elochoman River -- 2 bank anglers had no catch.
- Cowlitz River -- Interstate 5 Bridge downstream: 10 bank rods kept 2 steelhead.
- Above the Interstate 5 Bridge: 11 bank rods kept 3 steelhead. 23 boats/64 rods kept 22 steelhead.
- Klickitat -- 11 bank anglers kept 1 Chinook, 2 steelhead and released 6 jacks. (WDFW)
Fishing Report, May 30
The Columbian, May 30, 2019
See what you can learn
learn more on topics covered in the film
see the video
read the script
learn the songs